Thursday, July 21, 2011

President Obama: "Were you lying then ... or are you lying now?"


Last week President Obama said Social Security checks might not go out if the debt ceiling isn’t lifted. Shortly thereafter, I received a flurry of e-mails from readers who are retired or about to retire wondering if they should start panicking.

Then over the weekend I heard Congressman Dennis Kucinich (D-OH), one of the most liberal guys in Washington, on Fox News. He reiterated the thrashing he gave the President earlier in the week:

"It’s A Fake Crisis, Social Security Did NOT Create The Deficit! It Will Be Able To Pay 100% Of Benefits Through 2037!"

That got me thinking: According to the Social Security trustees, there is enough in the trust fund to carry it through 2036. And I wondered if the President knew this. I did. In fact I wrote a column about this very topic back on June 5. And Kucinich did. So surely the President did.

After a quick Google search I found where he said less than a year ago at an Ohio fundraiser that the nation's Social Security system is "not in crisis" and doesn't need "any newfangled schemes" to keep it solvent for the next generation.

If I could meet President Obama face to face, speak to him on the phone, or even get an e-mail through to him, I have something to ask. I’d use a strategy trial lawyers like when they catch a witness with their pants down:

Mr. President: “Where you lying then … or are you lying now?” 

I’d put my question more diplomatically. But you get the point.

Of course I know I’ll never get to ask the President directly. But if he is one of your Facebook friends or Twitter followers, please ask him for me.

Best wishes,

George

No comments:

Post a Comment