Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Costa Ricans Squash Border Problem … Without U.S. Help!

I just returned from Costa Rica. This time I went south to the San Isidro area. Beautiful mountains, gorgeous beaches, and friendly Ticos. But I got to witness something that many visitors might not appreciate. There was a clash on the Nicaragua border. It seems that a big-time, Nicaraguan landowner was starting to dig a trench onto a Costa Rican’s property. And apparently he had enough influence to get some soldiers to give him a hand. I won’t go into the details. You can read more here if you’re curious. I can tell you this though: All the locals I met were furious. The reporting was nonstop on TV. After a day or so of negotiations, it didn’t look like this was going to get resolved. And I envisioned that the U.S. would get dragged in one way or another. Then on Friday I watched on TV as Costa Rican police loaded planes and headed to the border. Well, sure enough, they settled the issue and sent the Nicaraguans packing. What impressed me is that Costa Rica hasn’t had a military since 1948! A point most Ticos are very proud of. However, they do have police force, which despite being underpaid and under-equipped, is not afraid to act when needed. And they took care of what could have become a huge international crisis without us sticking our nose into it. Best wishes, George

No comments:

Post a Comment